Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Crazy Morning

So this morning we were all set to go to our weekly playgroup and I was loading the kids in the car. Max LOVES keys and whenever he sees them, he holds out his hand and says, "key?" over and over until I let him play with them. I let him hold my keys while I buckled up Caleb first, and then I buckled Max. Just when I closed Max's door, I hear the car lock. Max has the keys and is continuously pushing the lock button. UGH! I would have just gone inside to get the spare except for the spare house keys were inside our locked house, and the others Max had on the key chain. I tried coaxing Max through the window. I asked him, "Max, give the keys to Caleb." He reached over and Caleb tried to grab them, then Max would pull them back and yell, "NO!" (His new favorite word) This happened many times, until Max finally threw the keys on the floor. I tried to get Caleb to open the lock on the other side and he pushed his best, but it didn't work. I called the Locksmith and they got there pretty fast, but still the kids were locked in the car for about 45 mins. Near the end, both Max and Caleb were crying and Max kept reaching for me to get him out. I had to walk away for a while because it was so sad. The locksmith did a great job, but it still took a while, and then when he finally got it open, he told me baby lock outs were free. I was sooo grateful. I was also grateful for having it happen under the circumstances it did, it could have been a lot worse.

6 comments:

Carly said...

Oh man...what a morning! I've had a couple close calls, but luckily it hasn't happened to me. Knock on wood.

Lexie@BookBug said...

Oh how sad! That had to be rough. I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Great Scott's! said...

LOL, I shouldn't laugh but I just know it's a matter of time before it happens for us, Paige also LOVES the keys. I think I will take this moment to learn vicariously through you. You are a great mom (I know through exprience), so tack it on to another funny moment in life. Great to keep in touch this way, your family is adorable.

Powell Family said...

Hey! Oh, that is so sad! Poor kids! Dont feel bad...this happened to us in St. George. Good thing it was about this time of year and wasn't too hot out. Rhett was about 1 1/2 and he locked his self in the truck. He was in there steering the wheel and having so much fun! I was freaking! I kept telling him to push the button to unlock it and he would just look at me and wave. After about 20 minutes of this the neighbor lady came over with a cookie and held it to the window and he had the door unlocked in about 2 seconds! Little stinker! You did great! I know you are a very mindful mom! Sometimes they just get one over on us!

Anna Dutson said...

I'm glad that they got out ok! Sounds like you had quite the morning!

MStevenson said...

Good to know that it was free. Good it was in the summer time.

Wellington almost locked himself in once, I saw almost because the automatic sliding door was about to close when I realized he had the keys and the car was locked, so I sacrificed my arm so the door wouldn't shut. It didn't hurt, but I didn't know if it would or not.